CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 04, 2006

2006 Goal

Have I mentioned how much I hate speed workouts? I dread going to the track. I hate every step of running fast and I when I finish, I feel like I wasted my time.

The problem is---I want to be faster. One of my goals for 2006 is to run a 4 hour marathon. Is it possible to reach my goal without doing speed work?

If reaching my goal means doing speed workouts or hill repeats once or twice a week, I think I need to reevaluate my goal.

I can’t describe what it is about speed work, but I feel like it sucks all the joy out of running and I don’t want to run a 4 hour marathon if it means ‘burning out’ in the process.

I guess it is just something to think about for now.

All I know is that I love to run.

5 comments:

Anne said...

I used to have the same attitude about speedwork and found the key for me was to mix it up (never do the same workout two weeks in a row) and to mentally focus on steps to fixing a problem in my life (from job stress to a leaky car battery)so that by the end I felt more "accomplished." Sometimes it also helps to visualize finishing that marathon in under 4 while you're doing those ovals.

Anonymous said...

Just approach it differently and avoid the track. Try mile repeats but just run a mile fast and then rest a couple of minute and the repeat it. You'll find that the workout is done before you know it and when you say "WOW", and "YES", and "I did it" it will all be worth it. The Garmin helps because you can use the advanced workout feature to program the repeat and rest - then it's a no brainer and your coach is on your wrist. Happy running.

Neese said...

aw, bless your heart. but if you ask me, if you're finishing a 5k in 22:33, you are already fast!

David said...

You must be running too hard in the speedwork. You're supposed to be spent when it's done but not before. The goal is to finish as fast as you start, just like in the race. Once you achieve the comfort of a certain pace, you can step it up a notch and try for faster.
Fast happens.

David said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.