CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 17, 2005

Why did you start?

A Runner's World survey found that most female subscribers originally took up running to lose weight. We all started running for various reasons, but somehow we have all continued on a similar running adventure. We continue to run because we are passionate about it. We enjoy the simplicity of a cool, morning run in the fog. We crave the challenge of a road race. We feel energized returning home after a long run. We release stress. We gain confidence. We connect with nature. We find joy in slipping on our sneakers and heading out the door.

I started running as a freshman in high school when I joined the cross country team. I only joined because wanted something to add to my high school transcript. Even though I didn't start running for a "good" reason, I am extremely thankfully for the many running adventures I have had since then.
Why did you start running?

Friday - 24.31 minutes
Saturday - none
Sunday - 44 minutes

7 comments:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Wait. Is this a female only question? I started running because my cardio workouts were getting boring and a friend suggested running. I feel a little fake about it all though because I don't think I get the joy and connections that everyone else seems to have.

Rachel said...

I started running during college, just for exercise. I thought I would try it and found myself liking it a great deal, although a friend recently reminded me how I used to get winded after a mile and a half. I regret now that I hadn't discovered running earlier-- it might have been nice to be on a cross country team in high school or college...

brent said...

i started running in high school. mainly to get into shape and because i couldn't even run a mile without feeling like i was going to pass out and i just couldn't understand why i couldn't even run a mile. i'm not built like a runner but i was determined.

i became more dedicated in college and really started to enjoy it as a stress reliever, and the way it made me feel. except i had no idea about the "long run" in college (i don't think i new what runner's world was) which stinks because i think i could have really run far! :)

brent said...

oops, knew what a runners world was. heh.

Mark said...

I started running in 1992. It was while I was "in between" jobs and immediately after breaking up with my then fiance.

Heartbroken and penniless, I took up the only sport I could that cost me next to nothing.

Oh yeah, I also did not know anyone in the city at the time so it was also a great solitary sport!

Jank said...

Short answer - in 1999 training for the Disney Marathon (which I didn't run). Long answer is here.

Except now I see that the question was "Why?" The answer to "why" is that it's cheaper than flying a plane.

Anonymous said...

I started running my last year of college, but I had always -wanted- to run since I was a kid... I was just too overweight to think I could do it and not look silly. But I worshiped the long distance runners in my high school class, and when I started dropping weight that last year of college, I decided to try running. And I haven't stopped since. -Dani, dani@manyfires.com, http://manyfires.diaryland.com