CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Brrrr...It's cold out there!

Tuesday
I work up early this morning and headed to the thermometer. It said 6 degrees (F) and the wind was blowing, so I quickly turned around and went back to bed. Maybe tomorrow will be a little warmer….at least in the double digits so I won't get frost bite. :)

Monday
Sundays run went so well I thought I was ready to attempt my first 10K since the summer. I felt good for the first three miles but after that I felt tiered and slow. The first 5 miles were mostly downhill or flat, but the last mile was straight uphill. I wanted to stop to walk when I reached the 5 mile marker, but I forced myself to keep going—although I probably would have been faster if I just power-walked up the hill. I finished in an hour and four minutes. It was discouraging to see that time, knowing that last May I ran the same route in 53 minutes…but at least I finished. The only way to improve is to keep running. So onward I go!

7 comments:

Jank said...

A braver soul than me: I wasn't even going to admit to the RBF that I blew off my first day of training for the New Year this morning. It's just crazy cold, and I was up about every 90 minutes with a sick baby last night. I'm sure it's just the hypocondriac (sp!) in me, but I think I'm coming down with whatever the baby has, and thought running in the cold would kill me.

I'm feeling for the The Pink Lady and our other neighbors to the north in areas where winter descends for months instead of days.

But it sucks being 3 miles down for the week.

brent said...

thats the spirit, good job! did you follow your HH 1/2 marathon plan (the link you have) very strict for your first 1/2? Or is it ok to improvise a little? I will need a plan eventually so I'm poking around for some good ideas...thanks!

April Anne said...

Brent, I followed a variation of Hal’s training program. I will write more about it in a comment on your blog.

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I agree with you 100% about going back to bed when its that cold out.

I am getting so SICK OF THE COLD! I'm cold all the time now. ALL.THE.TIME.

I used to like the cold but now I hate it. Alot.

brent said...

hello april anne (is it april-anne or april anne? i get confused)...thank you for your comments. i think i'll study the HH plan and give it a go sometime in february or maybe march.

brent said...

good luck on your exam! mine is on monday, i'm shaking in my boots :) i'm a little out of practice with the whole test taking thing. don't stay up too late now (hehe, i sound like my mom)

CAWS Kayaker said...

Good job on the run April-Anne! It's good to see you back up and running.