CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 08, 2004

Question

I almost forgot forgot to ask the RBF a question. ~ If you get a surge of energy in the middle of a race should you A. Pick up the pace or B. Conserve the energy for your final sprint to the finish line

I hope you are all are enjoying this season of running. Most of the leaves have fallen from their trees, but it is still beautiful outside. Stay safe and warm as you continue to push through the cold and windy days ahead! :)

4 comments:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Heh, heh. Haven't had that happen in the middle. I've gotten it at the end before and at that point I take the "leave it all out on the course" approach and give all I can. OFcourse, if I do have something at the end, it usually means I didn't pace right, which for me is very easy to do. :)

But in the middle? I think I would hang with the pace I have unless I'm way behind where I want to be, thinking I may need it later.

Unknown said...

I don't usually get surges of energy so I'm not sure how to handle it. I think Richard's comment is probably dead on--take some advantage of the surge, but don't run all out unless you are at the end. Of course, this will depend on the distance--you will probably want to handle a 5k differently than a marathon. A 5k is *almost* a sprint so in a 5k I would probably gut it out if you are past the one mile marker.

Nice work on the race!

Mark said...

What are you guys talking about?! Don't listen to them April-Anne. Whenever I get me one of those surges, I just go full out until I can't do it anymore.

hmmm...maybe THAT'S why I didn't do as well as I'd hoped in Victoria? ;)

I agree with Mr. Richard for the most part although the shorter the race, the more room for error there sometimes can be.

April Anne said...

Thanks for the advice! What would I do with out the RBF?