CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Question

Saturday - I planned on meeting Dianna early in the morning for the first loop of her 20 mile run, but the torrential down-pour got in our way (Shucks!). I settled for a four mile run in the late afternoon, by myself, with only a few drops of rain here and there.

Friday - another day of rest

And now for my question.....How many miles do you put on your sneakers before buying a new pair? As of now, my sneakers (New Balance, All Terrain, 602) feel completely fine, but they look a little beat up and the tracking is nearly gone, so I am wondering how much longer they will last. Ideally, I would like to keep my sneakers until December, because I really like them and I must admit, I'm just cheap (living on a student budget stinks some times).

Listed below are the running miles I have put on my sneakers (which excludes the times that I have worn them; to get the mail, shopping at the market, baby sitting, etc...)
January - 13
February - 7
March - 16
April - 31
May - 93
June - 60 (I'm estimating, because I can't find my June schedule anywhere.)
July - 94
August - 115
September - 79 (as of today)
TOTAL - 508

4 comments:

Mark said...

Hi April-Anne,

The prevailing thinking I've been taught it that shoes are pretty much done between 400 and 600 miles. I usually get about 4 or 5 months out of a pair before I get first signs of shin splints and once I get the new pair, I'm a-ok again. Hope this helps.

Running Chick said...

I think you need a new pair. It the treads are all worn out, it's time!

You could buy a new pair and rotate them in to your running schedule, so you still get a few more miles out of the old ones, while breaking in the new ones for your half-marathon.

Unknown said...

I usually try to retire a pair as they get into the 300s. I have waited longer when I was short on cash, but in general I think this is good practice for two reasons:

1. Cushioning and corrective effects are degraded, meaning higher potential for injuries.
2. Reduced tread means less traction. This is bad in all situation, but especially bad with trail running or running in the rain.

I would suggest that you try to get new shoes so that you can lengthen your running career and avoid hurting yourself! If money is an issue, search thoroughly on the web. I can usually find shoes for less on the web if I spend some time researching.

Good luck!

CAWS Kayaker said...

Normally I'd say 400 miles but my Nikes have taken quite the beating this season and I think I'll retire them after the Chicago Marathon (at which point they'll be 300 running miles old)