CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

New Haven 20K Race Report

I woke up before sunrise and drove into town to meet Michelle and Jason. As fate would have it, Michelle thought it would be best to meet at a donut shop. A Boston crème donut was calling my name, but I had to resist, especially on race day (although I did go for a blueberry muffin). :) When we arrived in New Haven, we quickly found Dianna and Annalisa, pinned on our numbers, made a quick bathroom stop and headed to the starting line. I was filled with excitement, and I was really nervous too. I had never run more than 9 miles, so I wasn’t sure how I was going to conquer 12.4, but I survived.

The race was awesome and I don’t know if there is anything else to say! Dianna and I ran together and along the way, we met her race day friend from last year. We were all able to chat, while keeping a good pace. Don’s enthusiasm and Dianna’s encouraging words (and singing too) :) helped me make it to the finish line.

Around mile 7-ish I my legs started to feel sluggish, but after a quick water stop I regained my energy and was able to keep trucking along. The course was great because it was primarily flat, and there were bands (and even a bagpiper) on the side of the route. I felt like I was surrounded by positive energy from start to finish. I didn’t have a huge kick at the end, but I tried my best and that’s all that matters. It was a fantastic race and I can’t wait until next year to do it all over again!

(I don’t know my official chip time, but unofficially it was about 1:45.30 )

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on a great race and a great report. It's amazing that all of you bloggers are able to get together and race together!

Way to run right out of your comfort zone and kick butt. Nice work!

Michelle said...

Great Job April-Anne!! You did great yesterday! Onto conquer Hartford in Oct!

Running Chick said...

Running next to you made the race more fun than I ever could have imagined...and your chip time is the same as mine...1:45:13!! The results are posted at www.newhavenroadrace.org.

Way to go April...October will be a breeze!

Mark said...

April-Anne that is a TREMENDOUS result at any time but this being your first distance race is unbelievable!! Way to go.

So looks like we may have another marathoner in the making huh?!

ncmunchkin said...

Great job! Hartford shouldn't be too bad in October now. Only .7 more miles total. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Good job April-Anne! It's really impressive because you've never run that far before!

Mike Paus
http://mikepaus.myserver.org/marathon.htm