CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 16, 2004

Stretching

My alarm went off at 7:30, but I didn't actually get up until a little after 8. That pesky snooze button kept calling my name!! :) I ran the same route as Wednesday and my time was a little faster, which surprised me because my legs felt like bricks for the first ten minutes-which I attribute to taking Thursday off and not stretching. Stretching is always last on my list of "things to do". The majority of the time, I skip it, even if I do have time. Luckily, I've never had a serious running injury (just a few shin splints when I was in high school). I know I should stretch, but for some reason I just can't make myself do it. Hal's training program includes a day of stretching/strength, so I guess I'm going to have to start soon! I'm off to the beach for the weekend, and of course my running gear is packed. :) Have a great weekend everyone!

Weather: beautiful, sunny morning - 78 deggrees
Time: 44.39
Miles: ? (same as Wednrsday)
Results: My legs were tiered at first, but felt much better after ten minutes.

3 comments:

Mark said...

There are many many sources that say not to stretch before running and that you should instead just warm up gradually.

If anything, you can stretch after a run.

I'm not a big stretcher and rarely suffer injury other than back problems which are not the same kind of thing at all.

Running Chick said...

We'll have to do some stretches after our Monday nite runs, so we can at least say we stretch once a week!

And I agree with Mark, it is MUCH better to stretch either after the run OR you can start your run, warm-up a bit, stop and stretch and then continue on. The key is to have your muscles warmed up prior to stetching.

I know so many runners who DON'T stretch (myself included) even though we know it's good for us. Makes me chuckle...it's such a bizarre contradiction.

April Anne said...

I'm glad there are other runners who don't stretch, it makes me feel less guilty. :)