CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Wedding #4, the last one of the season was unique in every sense of the word; from the deer shaped wedding cake to the one of a kind center pieces at the reception. Unfortunately my pictures did not come out very good.

As for running 'news'.....I registered for a marathon for 'fun'. It's in Newport, Rhode Island on October 18th. My only goal is to finish. I have been serious about keeping up with the training distances, but I have not done an ounce of speed work and I have been training around a 10 min./mile pace, so I have no intention of hitting my 4 hour goal. I'll save that for another race. I haven't raced since February so I'm looking forward to 'race day majic' again.

The course description sounds exiting: The Amica Marathon covers a rolling course on the scenic Newport and Middletown roads. Starting by the water in downtown Newport, the course runs through some of the most scenic spots on Aquidneck Island, past the famous Bellevue Avenue Mansions, by beautiful ocean views and through quiet back country roads.

I hope everyone is enjoying the fall season and running strong. I always remember Mark's quote at this time of the year, "For me, running in the fall is like eating chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner."

5 comments:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I've had chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Mark's crazy. The chocolate is still better. :)

Unknown said...

this will blow your mind...

i eat chocolate WHILE running.

best wishes for an awesome race! the course sounds really entertaining.

David said...

If you don't have an more weddings on your schedule we may never see another post from you!

I am envious and curious about your Newport run. If I wasn't doing Hartford next weekend I was going to do Newport. Maybe next year if you give it good reviews. I've read mixed reviews on marathonguide.com. Maybe this will be a good year.
Good luck!

Jank said...

Oh, I hope it goes well. We'd offer to come out and provide moral support, but that's Scout leadership training, and I will be sleeping in the woods.

Jank said...

So, just to get you psyched about Newport -

After drill today, I went and ran the Newport half-marathon course backwards (plus the couple of miles to/from the Navy base to get in my third from last long run before NYC). Downtown to the Cliff Walk to Ruggles to Bellvue to Ocean Ave.

Ocean Avenue was probably the prettiest four miles I've run in my entire life.

Absolutely.

Spectacular.

The sun was sinking into the North Atlantic, the rain clouds were breaking up, and the sky was a beautiful scarlet down into the wine-dark water.

And there's nothing on Ocean that could even remotely be considered a "hill".