CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

I finished Chi Running tonight. My favorite quote was, "Getting back to that childhood way of running doesn't come from building bigger muscles, it comes from relaxing muscles, opening tight joints, and using gravity to do the work instead of pushing and forcing your body to move in ways that can do it harm." I will have to go back and re-read the things I underlined because I have already forgotten a lot, but I think the author made a lot of good points which I can apply to my running form.

The list of low-chi foods made me laugh because almost my entire diet consists of things from the list:
-canned foods
-processed foods
-microwaved foods (I couldn't live without the microwave!)
-condiments, commercially produced
-foods with additives, preservatives, or coloring

Now I am on to It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life by Lance Armstrong. I have heard good reviews so I am looking forward to the read and I have a huge crush on Lance so it has to be a good book! :)

*I haven't read blogs in over an week so I am sorry for my lack of commenting. I am going to try to catch up this weekend.

6 comments:

Running Chick said...

can I borrow the lance book when you are done? i promise i won't let my drool marks interfere with your drool marks.

:) said...

It is a great read...so is his other one. Actually his mom's book is pretty good too; a very different perspective on his life and battle with cancer.

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

That's why I liked ChiRunning so much. Dreyer seemed to have a very wholistic approach to endurance running, and not just "move your feet and legs like this". Good stuff.

Although, I'm very certain that chocolate is not included in his list of processed foods. :)

Jank said...

INATB:MJBTL is indeed a great book, but kind of ironic where he talks about his relationship with Kristen. I'd advise skipping those bits.

And what's up with dissing condiments? Hasn't he heard that ketchup has natural mellowing agents?

Unknown said...

Hi, I saw your comment on my blog. Lemon drops are lemon flavored and lemon shaped hard candies! I got a bag from my mother-in-law and they seemed like good "aid station" food.

Hope all is well!

ShoreTurtle said...

Have you had much luck with the Chi Running? I read the book recently too. The leaning forward and the running uphill tips are the only ones that I use consistently. I think that I get caught up in trying to do all of the techniques at once instead of practicing them individually.

Run on!