CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, June 03, 2005

10K Race Report

This past Monday I ran in the 25th Woodstock Memorial Day Race. It was a beautiful day, perfect for running. The sun was shining, the birds were singing and there was race magic in the air.

I was aiming for a 8.15 mpm pace, but without my running partners I had no idea what I was doing. My first miles was 7.04! I guess I got caught up in the Race Day Magic. :) After that, I found a good pace and maintained it until the last mile when I reached the monster hill. It was scary and long, but I survived. There was one guy running near me who would sprint ahead for 30 seconds, then stop and walk and then sprint ahead. It was difficult to maintain a steady pace compared to that guy, but in the end I out ran him! Yeah!! I forgot my official race time, but someone told me it was almost a minute faster than last year (53.05).

Highlights...
1. My cousins and sister were at the race to cheer me on. Thanks girls!
2. I received a trophy and key chain because I was the first finisher in my division (and no one has to know there was only one other girl in my division)! :)
3. Prior to reaching the hill, the race director had the word "Hill" spray painted on the road, as a warning. It made me laugh, because about 30 feet after the warning you could obviously see the huge hill. There was no way a runner could miss it.

9 comments:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Yeah April Anne! A great race and a trophy are so very cool. :) Gotta love the hill sign too.

And you know that guy has the same picture of you two and he tells everyone "That's the woman in front of me that I almost ate!". Had to laugh out loud when I saw your caption. :D

Sarah said...

Awesome job, April Anne!! Congrats on the trophy :-) So, any firm plans on the marathon in October?? Maybe the half?

Unknown said...

AWESOME, blossom!

how super cool that you got a trophy! put that thing on the coffee table, or hang it from the front door...or wear it around your neck! show that baby off!

Unknown said...

ROFL...just read jon's comment.

brent said...

i think thats so great that you won a trophy. woohoo! hey you earned it! great time too. heck if it was me i'd be taking that trophy with me to the grocery store, the movie store, the gas station, church (well maybe not church heh), well everywhere. hehehe.

The Thinking Runner said...

Good race. Always a great feeling when those times start going down.

Michelle said...

Great job April Anne. You probably ran the first mile so fast to outrun the lion! Way to go girl!

Anonymous said...

great race, congrats on the medal!!
Heather

Anonymous said...

Hi! I ran that race, too. Child Hill is so tough! My weekly long run (7.2 miles) goes straight up a long hill as well, but it's nothing like doing this much steeper grade after mile 5 of a 6.2 mile race.

I stumbled on this blog looking for a website with the 2006 Woodstock results.