CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 04, 2005

I'm Addicted

Have you ever had sparkling "carbonated" flavored water? I am addicted to it. Nine months ago I gave up soda even though I would still occasionally crave a diet coke. Last month my sister introduced me to flavored carbonated water and I have not stopped drinking it. I love the mango/peach, kiwi/strawberry, and grape. I feel like I am drinking soda but I know that it must be better for me-it is calorie free, caffeine free, and sodium free.

Here is myquestion...is it really "healthy"? My brother told me that he heard anything carbonated is bad for your body, especially for your eyes. I did a little research but I could not find anything except this.

"A recent study in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition found bubbles in a carbonated drink actually makes you drink less. For that reason, you may want to avoid carbonated water, at least during workouts."

What do you think?

What do you usually drink?

Christian, you drink sparkling water right? Have you noticed any "side effects" on your running?

6 comments:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Never heard of that before. The only thing in sparkling water is carbon dioxide. And that gets uh, expelled (as Bex would say) from the body in some very colorful tones sometimes, but I think we can all live with that.

Bad for your eyes? Nope.

I did find this related urban legend in snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/deadly.asp

brent said...

i have unfortunately re-addicted myself to diet soda. but i plan to use the carbonated water to ease the pain as i cut it out again, i think its a good substitute. i've done it before and its good stuff. the only thing i would watch out for: some of the brands have asparatme in them. i know mendota springs does not and neither does one other brand that i'm drawing a blank on..

A said...

Hmm... Maybe that explains why I need to wear glasses.

Anonymous said...

Yup, like Brent, I too, am back to Diet Coke. Thankfully not as much as I drinking before. Each time I quit I at least reduce the volume...lol...Dawn (aka Pink Lady)

Anonymous said...

As Jon mentioned, the carbonation can cause um...tones. I've heard the acidic nature of carbonated beverages can wear tooth enamel but I don't know if that's true. I used to drink sodas but now I rarely drink something carbonated. I'm mostly a water guy now. Well, I also like coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon.

Anonymous said...

I'm very addicted to carbonated beverages, to the point where I drink a case of 12 a day.