CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Running Rut

I have been staying at a house without Internet access (How is that possible in today's society?) :) I still have another week and a half to go, so my posts and comments will most likely be few and far between.

As far as the running goes... I have fallen into a rut. Every since the half marathon I have been lacking motivation. Before the race I ran with dedication and passion. I was always trying to improve. I was always looking toward the future. I would change my entire daily schedule in order to make sure I had time for a run.

I have only had one really good run in the past two weeks. I find myself listing excuses of why I can't go running. I feel like me fitness level is already declining, which is discouraging. I didn't want October 9th to be the end of a great "season" and I am afraid that if I don't get my act together soon, I'll never make it through the long, cold winter.

I know that I will always have a passion for running, but I feel like it's slipping away. I feel guilty if I miss a run but at the same time, I don't feel like running anymore. Even today, I was about to push myself out the door for a run when I started thinking, "I skipped Wednesdays' run so why not skip another one today?" With that in mind, I untied my laces and grabbed the cheese and crackers.

I plan on meeting my running partners over the weekend, so maybe their passion and encouragement will carry me through this rut.

"Running isn't about looking backwards. It's not about that missed run, it's about that next step. It's not about the last race, it's about the next one. Always look forward to the future, and enjoy it." A great quote by Sean, but it's not sinking in right now. sigh...

4 comments:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Sounds like a bad case of post-marathon depression. You need help fast! Time to make a BIG change in workouts, stategies, and gear. I find that buying new clothes or shoes or gadgets helps to keep things fresh. Everything you did up until the race was done for that race. Now that the race is done, its hard to keep doing it. Time to find something new. The next race, the next goal, whatever, but then pick up the new stuff for that goal.

Onward!

Running Chick said...

Next time you get the urge to un-lace your shoes (and getting them ON is half the battle)...try this...head out in one direction for 10 minutes. If after 10 minutes, you're still not feeling the running-love, then turn around and head home. Worst thing: you just ran for 20 minutes. Best thing: you will probably keep going.

And remember, if you can run a half-marathon, you can do ANYTHING for 20 minutes.

Michelle said...

We're here for you! See you tomorrow!

Mark said...

April-Anne,

You really have no idea how talented a runner you are do you? Your times are stunning considering how new you are to distance running! Most runners peak in their mid-thirties and 40's and you have YEARS to get there. Have fun with it, keep the social aspect up (i.e. Dianna and company!) and make SURE to set yourself some goals because I am in agreement with Jon - you have post-race depression and the best cure is to plan more races ASAP!

Keep swimming and smiling April-Anne cuz it's only gonna get better!