CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Food Journal

Many, many months ago I started a food journal because my food intake was getting out of control. I still eat junk, but overall [until recently] I have noticed a slight improvement. I hate to write down 'Dinner: salsa, triscuits, half a can of whip cream'.

Unfortunately my journal is almost full and recently it hasn't been helping AT ALL. I ate pure junk for dinner last night and again for lunch today. I just ran a marathon and if I didn't tell you that, you would never know. I know I am definitely not fat or even close to it, but I feel like I should look and feel more like a 'runner'.

I know I can only blame myself, but in my defense I have to say that being an elementary school teacher does not help my problem. At least once a week I have a student or former student bring me a birthday cupcake, there are always goodies in the teacher's room, and my class celebrates all the holidays (even Groundhog Day). How can I say 'no' to parents that love to bake? And, since I can only use the bathroom twice a day I have to be careful how much water I drink.

It feels like I am the only one that struggles with food issues. It seems so 'natural' for everyone else to eat healthy. I don't know what else to do. I need a new strategy, a new plan, a new me.

Any ideas?

4 comments:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

You are NOT the only one that struggles with food issues. I know this because I ate Halloween candy for breakfast today.

I know for me, its not a natural thing to eat healthy, and I have think about it to make sure it happens. It took a long time to get into a habit of eating the good foods that I do eat. But if there is junk food around, I'm going to eat it.

For me, stressful things makes me crave junk food. How is the stress in your life, April Anne? Is there something there that is making life difficult or sad? Sometimes that can play out in what we eat.

So is something wrong? Is everything else going ok?

april anne said...

It's good to know that there is at least one other person out there that ate Halloween candy for breakfast. :)

I really don't understand why I love/crave/devour junk food, because afterwards I'm always upset at myself. I want eating healthy to become natural.

I spent a lot of time thinking about your questions regarding stress/problems and I honestly have to say that I have an Amazing life. I love my life! I have a wonderful relationship with all of my family members. I have the job of my dreams (which comes with some stress, but I think it's 'normal stress'). I have a great group of close of friends and I go to a really good church that not only encourages me but also challenges me. I'm going back to grad school, which I absolutely love (Yes - I am the dorky girl in the front row that raises her hand to ask questions because she loves to learn). :) I'm happy with my 'fitness level'. The only thing that could improve life, is if I had someone to share it with....preferably a guy that made God/church and an active life style a priority in his life. I know I'm still young (even though all my friends are married), so I try my best to have a positive attitude thinking that, 'good things come to those who wait'.

Well, I'm sure that is way more information than you needed, but some times it's nice to reflect on all the blessings in life when the news is full of such devastation.

David said...

AA - Jon has dabbled in the patent business and has one on stress. He's a professional. :)

I know what you mean about school and junk food. It's horrible! and I don't even go to the schools.

You should keep a bag of carrot sticks, apple slices, raisins, mixed nuts or something in your drawer to knock down the hunger pangs or make you too full for the bad stuff. You could thank the kindly parents for the goodies and "wrap them to take home" and eat later. Find a neighbor or a guy with a sweet tooth and give the stuff away.

Joe said...

AA, no huge insight from me. But you are CLEARLY not alone!! Get rid of that thought...it's a big issue for a lot of people.

You do have a lot of good things... centered well in your faith, a job you enjoy, friends, health. The right guy will show up at the right time...God is faithful.

I do note that my worst eating is in the week following a marathon. I'm latently hungry, take the week off from running, lose some real discipline...boom, 5 lbs on before I know it.

carrots are good...you'll find a way!!